Friday, February 12, 2010

Being and Doing




The school term has begun!
Now I teach basic English, Life Skills, computers, health, and baking at Mazzoldi . I also am responsible for some counseling and Life Skills education at St. Catherine’s. Quick shout out ot the new books from Book Aid, and the Why Wait Life Skills curriculum!!
Organizational development is a big part of my aim here, as creating and maintaining a budget, following a strategic plan, laying out some staff contracts, etc, are all exciting new projects.
Beyond this, I want to emphasize that I live with people. Here you see the groups of primary school children I meet when jogging and Sister Christine, my supervisor, with a graduate of Mazzoldi. This act of being, and more importantly, being with, is so much more important than the actual doing. I am reminded of all the times when I valued projects or success more than relationships, missing the best thing, the people, along the way.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I were Peace Corps volunteers in Bushenyi from 2004-2006. I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your photos. Ogumeho!

    ReplyDelete