Monday, February 21, 2011

Some Poetry

I ran across some poetry from when I first came to Uganda and found that it was still true; enjoy!

MOVING
When you cannot keep
In touch with all
When THEY are cherished
but not part
when there is no reason
to contact
nothing
to say

You realize
they are not essential
and you are also
a memory

II So I die
many small deaths
emerge from countless labors
all I want
is one

III But I see
the worshiping
firewood
the metal parts in trees
appreciate
sun rising
setting
savoring

IV And now
I go
the night before travel
NOT hectic, disorganized
dirty,
packing
the work of mornings, afternoons

Now fulfilled,
exhausted,
rest,
I have run well.


WORK
It is not the work
that kills
sapping strength
from marrow
joy
from
life

it is the
boredom
sitting, doing
nothing
waiting tor the next
opportunity,
person

That is why we
chop into small pieces
cook, wash, dig
slowly, methodically, carelessly
That is why we
go to the well,
carry, water,
not using
donated pumps.

We think
there is nothing else
to do

Looking up from
computers, desks, papers
out from TV's, DVD's WII's

Around, from rolls
choking
fat

Maybe there isn't!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah -- I'm a PCV in Macedonia, and I love the 'Moving' poem. Who wrote it?

    ReplyDelete