Thursday, August 23, 2012

Arete


Within my first month in the US, I went to a friend’s wedding were former college mates, along with their spouses and families, were congregated. I, of course, was asked what I was doing and what I planned to do. I felt so ashamed that someone finally answered for me. Why had I not settled down and started a career or family? Friends in medical school advised me to simply find a job, warning me of the difficulty and sacrifice involved in medicine.
After being in the US for a few months, however, the enormity of these past four years is slowly sinking in. The gravity of what I am now after is also becoming more apparent. And I am energized by it.
In the ancient Greek culture, arête was the end of human aspiration: it was pursuit of reaching fullest potential; mentally, physically, and spiritually. It was not comfort, nor wealth, but a struggle for the ultimate good, for excellence in life, and for continuous growth.
I finished the summer Chemistry courses successfully and am now preparing to begin physics, organic chemistry, and biology for the fall. I am thinking about different medical schools, building community here in Sioux Falls, strengthening bonds with family members, and seeking spiritual growth. I try to do most of this on bike…… no I’m not after the American dream. Nothing could be closer to a premature casket for me. What is the aim? Arete.

No comments:

Post a Comment