Thursday, October 2, 2014

SURPRISE! Medical school is ....... fun!

So, what is medical school like? Hmmm, Medical school is like high school marching band camp.  I was tired and sweaty most of the time and I worked my butt off to improve my skills.  Several times, I found myself on the wrong spot in the football field and Mr. Hogeboom would shout into his loudspeaker "Zoutendam! What are you doing?"
  During the first week, we had several orientation activities.  During one, local physicians took us out to eat in groups.  While waiting for my group to assemble, I became so involved talking to a group adjacent to mine that my physician couldn't find me for a few minutes.  After the first week of orientation, we had a white coat ceremony and were given our stethoscopes and hospital badges. That weekend, I did a reflection exercise at the ER.  A minimalist, I had not purchased an ironing board but needed to iron my white coat.  I tried to save time by not putting a towel down to iron over.  As I started to lift my white coat up from the carpet, it didn't budge.  A harder tug, and streams of carpet glue became visible underneath.  The next hour was spent scraping bits of carpet from my white coat.  At the ER later that evening, an alarm I had forgotten about on my phone began to go off, with Whoopie Golberg singing "Get up off of that thing, and dance till you feel better!"  At least the ER resident laughed instead of yelling into a loudspeaker!
Then we started classes.
 I go to class everyday with 175 extremely bright, professional and motivated classmates.  Each professor, tutor, academic success person, community liason, and clinical instructor works to help us learn as much and as well as possible.  Within about three weeks, we covered what I learned in two years of undergrad science courses.
I am no longer learning alone for myself.  I no longer sit at home at a table in front of a book.  I am learning for many and with many.  I am constantly challenged to increase my knowledge so I contribute to my study group or practice group's performance.  I practice my clinical exam interview questions not for the test in December but because my team mates are very passionate about it and often invite me to practice with them.  I must read ahead of lecture so that my classmate can discuss it with me directly after class. 
Furthermore, the professors have daily office hours, multiple tutors available and academic success professionals.  The system is built for hard work and for success.  I am not working against the grain of a system weeding me out but with a team that helps me to improve in every way.
  When in need of diversion, we are constantly bombarded by extra meetings, specialty interest groups, advocacy organizations and clinical opportunities.  There is even a medical school band (pretty good too!) called the Arrhythmias.
  At the end of high school band camp, I had practiced with many small groups and mastered new choreographed moves.  I had sweat through all my packed clothes and had woken up several times into a bolt upright salute "Yes, Mr. Hogeboom, sir!"  I had also mastered a new octave (trumpet) and forged real friendships with band mates.  After doing my laundry, I found myself waiting for the next year's band camp.  Although I don't think I will long to do medical school again, I can only describe it as intensely fun.  Fun in the fact that I am truly challenged and motivated and stretched and learning.  Fun in the fact that I have great team mates that challenge me to increase my professionalism and dedication.  Fun in the fact that I am exposed to so many new and exciting opportunities.  Even if some days, I am in classes and activities for 10 hours before I can begin to study, as if I am playing trumpet in the rain in a soggy field; there's nothing I'd rather be doing.

1 comment:

  1. Love the band camp references! You hit it dead on... love those memories! Good luck with the white jacket btw! And you are going to be a wonderful doctor. I love how you entered into this with wanting to learn so you know how to treat others around you. Such around beautiful perspective. Good luck with all your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete