Sunday, May 1, 2016

Two lives, two dreams.


I have not one life,
But two

Not one dream
But two

And How they belong to each other

I never knew

When I lived the first one
The foolish,
The zealous
The brave

I stayed awake
And saw myself
Who I could become
Hollow, proud,
Estranged.

In that first garden
Was born
a second dream

Of feet on earth
And every cell in my being
Part of my surroundings
Woven in
To those around me

Myself, not remarkable
Not applauded
But part
Of something deeper--
Love-- Life's true art

My past is a mirror
I look in and see
I am no visionary nor savior,
Not wise nor supreme.

But a stone, a brick, a member
Of the Mother, who,
Carrying the world,
Leads us to peace.


I am getting ready to get married.  I am halfway through medical school.  I am pursuing a dream that I had while in the Peace Corps, of doing rural medicine in the US and somehow supporting medical education overseas.  Sometimes, I wonder if I am on the "right" path, but at those times, I have to remember what I learned in Uganda-- about the centrality of community, about the hard work and talent I saw there, about the role I saw for myself in supporting amazing people and organizations.


At times, I can intellectually wish that I somehow reduced the time spent before medical school.  But when I have a crisis of calling or feel the itch to remain nomadic, I am truly grateful for the time I had to grow.


"It may be that the satisfaction I need depends on my going away, so that when I've gone and come back, I'll find it at home."  Rumi



No comments:

Post a Comment