Friday, July 3, 2009

Before I go: packing list and to do

Hello out there!

This post is about my preparations for Uganda. Of course I will not finish the long laundry list of things I plan to do but I have done quite a bit and have an idea of what is left. I probably will not have any electricity or running water so I am left with two choices; go without or bring gadgets. I guess I know that although thinking of a completely technology- free life is romantic, it usually boils down to sitting inside a stifling hut thirsty, tired, and completely bored. With this in mind; I have some advice from former PCV's to pass on in the form of my packing list. If I have the opportunity in Uganda, I will keep you updated about the usefulness of these items:

- 2 pairs of Chaco sandals (PCV's get a 50% discount; just call the Chaco number on their website)
- 2 pair of good tennis shoes with orthotic inserts (thank you to my physical therapist aunt, Donna!)
- pair dress shoes
- solar battery charger and A LOT of rechargable batteries
- Solio universal charger; charges everything except batteries; including ipod and phone
- smart phone-- for this I bought a used HTC Wing-- I hope it works well, but I like the fact that it uses the Windows platform (with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint) with keyboard
- I pod, good headphones, and backup MP3 player with good music-- for me this is anything Winans family, Vickie Yohe, Nicole Mullins, Fred Hammond, etc.
- favorite movies (sister act II, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, etc.) I do not have a DVD player with me but I think someone will have a laptop or I can use them at the training center. There may be difficulties because they are American, not African and may not play on DVD players in Uganda.
- short wave radio
- Steri Pen water filter; it can filter a liter at a time using infra- red lights, is supposed to last for a looooong time and will run on the batteries listed above
- head lamp, and expandable flashlight/lantern
- good set of knives
- several hanging organizational devices
- modest, ironable, professional clothing -- I took my clues from the media on this one, and I am going to be dressing like the Dugger family (18 and counting)
- two Nigerian dresses; thanks to Yemi from Rutgers and my parents' friends in Sioux Falls!
- lots of socks, underwear, etc.

Then I did a will, a living, will, and gave up my power of attorney. I tried to donate my body to a university in case of death, etc, but the doctor said they wouldn't want 'em. (seriously, after living in Africa for a year and then again for two years, I'll probably never be able to donate blood or organs)

Now I just have to finish up some more loose ends, get everything together and continue working as many hours as possible so I have an emergency fund

2 comments:

  1. sister, this is just so great! iam happy and appreciate what it looks like to see the beauty of nature that God has blessed uganda with. well,will keep an eye here.
    regards,
    alex
    Uganda christian University

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never commented on this:
    Shoes were a must. The dress shoes (no heel doll style naturalizers) were used almost every day. Chacos are fun but not professional. Tennis shoes were great but safety when jogging.....hmmm.
    The batteries and solio stuff and smart phone were not used. The DVDs were never used. I had a mini laptop with 8 hrs. of battery life sent to me, which was nice but not totally necessary.

    The African dresses were used quite a bit and some new ones were made. They were the best!

    Good cooking knives were probably the most useful thing I brought and a camera was very helpful as well.

    The best part.... living without stuff was incredibly freeing. It is wonderful to be close to the earth, close to people, and leave the trash in the department store.

    ReplyDelete