Friday, July 3, 2009

Preparing To Work

Hello again out there!

Preparing for this experience goes beyond gadgets and clothes, etc. So, here is a bit about the preparations that I have been involved in. To begin with, I was able to spend nine months in rural Lesotho and then a year in my master's program at Rutgers University before leaving for Uganda (I am a Master's International student; doing a Masters in Public Administration with a concentration in international public service and development). I was also given the opportunity to go to Uganda with my professor for 10 days in January and speak in a few Ugandan universities.

The thing that I think will be hardest is being asked for money. I know that I will be around people that need money and ask for it. I, however 1. do not have the money to give (I will be a PCV : ) 2. do not believe that just giving money is the answer. So I am exploring a couple empowerment solutions that I may like to try in Uganda. The first three are soap making, candle making, and the making of solar ovens.
1. I made a successful batch of soap at my grandparents' house (out of olive oil, lye, and water) and am bringing The Soapmaker's Companion with me.
2. I am also bringing a book regarding candle making
3. I made a successful solar oven (after much trial and error). I do not think it will be a big hit right away because it could be seen as quite strange. I will use it myself, however, and if anyone wants to copy me or try to make and sell them, I will be better equipped to help

I have also been exploring Uganda's past and its recent election through some academic and news sources. Not only is there some unease about the recent election; there is regional unrest and civil war in many surrounding nations. Knowledge about these issues and the groups/ parties involved will be invaluable.

Hope this helps anyone who is going to Uganda and/or with Peace Corps or a different international org.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment