Thursday, June 10, 2010

Human


One of the biggest compliments that Sister Delphine can give a person is that “S/he was so human.” This threw me a few times until I learned that she meant humane. Either way, however, it has been a challenge. It is so easy to become consumed in oneself, even for a Peace Corps volunteer. In fact, even though they are supposed to be engaged in international service, most PCV’s (myself included) have difficulty going out of their way in the slightest manner for someone else. After being walked home by some very kind fellow volunteers last night, the same people that helped me to find a bike and have gone out of their ways multiple times, I thought about the importance of humanity in life. Even here, even in Peace Corps, it is necessary to question, what are my motivations? Who am I living for? Do I love my neighbor as myself?
The most giving, selfless volunteers are not the most outgoing or popular ones, but those that have only a few good friends. I have about three close Peace Corps friends, and I used to think I was being very hostile to everyone else. I cannot, however, be “human” to all the other PCV’s (about 200 in country), but I can focus on those few friends. After all, I am human!

No comments:

Post a Comment