Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Requiem for a Peace Corps Volunteer

My requiem
I prepare slowly

To few bold notes
We combine harmony

Quick violin strokes
Long mournful viola

After the final drumbeat
Only scent remains

Lingering presence
On tired strings/ fingertips/
Hum of young musician

There can be no
Accurate recording.

Besides,
Who would listen?

Only faint presence
Inspiring you

To sing

Again.

I find myself at the end of my Peace Corps experience—only 7 months left. I am preparing now for another death. A beautiful requiem remains for composition; one of harmony with those around me, one that prepares for the next life, one of spirituality. My commitment, therefore, is to mend personal relationships, write, pray, sing, and, of course, dance through these next months. Oh yeah, and I have a few big projects to finish. Then I am planning a big party at the end at which I will give a big speech.
Then I’ll fly away, becoming just another ghost. And for me, a thousand new ghosts will haunt my world, not least of who will be six in veils and matching blue habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment