Sunday, November 27, 2011

Judge Judy


I spent the other weekend with a phenominal woman nicknamed Judge Judy. We went through plans for postbac premedical programs, medical schools, finances, last minute essay revisions, and other small crises. After staying up till 2AM Sunday morning with various problems and schemes, we had an idea of what lay ahead, and the time and money it would take. The next afternoon, I asked, what is the real difference between pursuing this medical degree at a top school and going to my grandparents' home to try and find a normal job or become a nurse? Quality of life, after all, is about joy in the little things and relationships. A pause, small eye roll, and hand to hip later, her answer was simple. "It's the difference between taking control of your life and allowing someone else to take it." I think I am the Judge's most difficult case.

No comments:

Post a Comment