Monday, December 5, 2011

Everyone has a butt

Ok, one of my aunts excluded, everyone has a butt. Especially my new nephew who was just born-- he definitely has the prominent, rounded Zoutendam cheeks, with plenty of hot air to boot. Someone once told me that everyone has an opinion like everyone has a butt. Talking with different friends and relatives about my crazy past and my crazier dreams, this is ever so true. Two recent med grads took one look at me and said "Physicians Assistant or public health, but I would never do med school again." Another friend looks me squarely in the eye and says, "You need to start dating." Two friends, both of whom are also "late bloomers," having tried a variety of careers before settling down, were more encouraging. One former missionary kid who traveled for four years before, at a age 26, deciding to complete his pre- med requirements, said, "You'll be 35 either way." Another, who is, in his 30's and beginning law school, talked about following dreams, but at the same time not discounting previous strengths. He reminded me that I can do some cool stuff with public policy that I haven't even gotten into yet. The problem with all of this is that everyone is right-- for his or her life, but not necessarily for mine. One person told me just to focus straight ahead, ignoring the noise on both sides. That is not bad. Yesterday, a woman sitting next to me put her arm around me briefly in the middle of the sermon. I hadn't even noticed that I was leaning over, holding my head with my hands and trying to keep from crying. She had her son with her, whom she was trying to keep from running up and down the isles. Come on, Sarah! I thought, you are a hot mess! Yes, according to the urban dictionary-- someone who looks as if they've been to hell and back. Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment