Wednesday, October 7, 2009

MY SITE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I found out what my site is!!!!! I am going to be near Bushenye in the southwest of Uganda working at a girls' secondary school and a girls' vocational school. They are run by four nuns and I will live in a small house on compound. (Yes I am bringing Sister Act II : ) They requested that I teach life skills (specifically in relation to HIV prevention) and computers in both schools. The other component of my job description is community work with women and girls who do not/ can not/ could not go to school. Development of income generating activities, visiting people living with HIV/AIDS, and doing HIV prevention programs with those groups will be important.
I am quite excited about the site; I wanted to be in a safe compound, I wanted to do something based on what I have done but that stretched my skills, and I wanted to be working with hard working, sincere people. I don't know what it will be like because I'm going next week, but I am very very happy with the site. I was quite impressed with the nuns in Lesotho; they worked so hard but were so sincerely dedicated-- they also did not abuse the funds of their orgs. for personal benefits. I hope to learn and grow; spiritually, personally, and professionally!
About where I am going; it is green, a land of milk (farmers) and vegetables. The nuns garden vegetables and want me to teach the school and community about nutrition. So many things grow here and are eaten but knowledge is lacking about the necessity of a variety of vegetables and their uses. I hope to do a lot of blended agriculture and nutrition!

No comments:

Post a Comment