Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sister Act III

Site: A girls secondary school, vocational college, and primary school run by seven nuns = heaven. I have to say that some people have difficulties with their sites, but I think mine is perfect for me. There are about 500 people on the compound because the secondary school and technical college girls are boarding. Of course there are also other teachers and staff members. We are very close to a SMALL trading center but quite self sufficient (they garden for much of their own food, collect rainwater, and use solar electricity).
I live in two rooms that are connected to the sisters’ dining room and facing (with 10 feet between) the place that the sisters live. They are quite multicultural among themselves (from Tanzania, Kenya, northern Uganda, and southwestern Uganda). They are very welcoming and encouraging as I practice my language words and learn the place. I have been eating with them and enjoying their company. If I am bored, I need only to travel a few feet to the boarding area of one of the schools! So far, they want someone to start teaching life skills (HIV/AIDS prevention, sanitation, nutrition) at all schools, along with business skills, basic math and English, and some computers at the vocational college. The sisters are involved in multiple community and womens’ groups, which they want me to work with in health education and economic empowerment (nutrition, agriculture, income generation and village savings and loans are all options).

No comments:

Post a Comment